SGT Shawn G. Adams

Distinguished Member of the Regiment

Served with Alpha Company, 3-509th Infantry Battalion (Airborne)

Military Awards: 1x Bronze Star, 2x Purple Hearts, Ranger Tab, Parachutist Badge

SGT Adams was a very promising Soldier. His motivation and drive helped him graduate Ranger School at the young age of 19.

After being wounded 6 month before his death, with shrapnel still in his leg, SGT Adams continued to perform his daily duties.

On Sunday, July 22, 2007, Sgt. Shawn G. Adams, a 21-year-old Airborne Ranger, was killed after a roadside bomb detonated near his vehicle, just outside of Owaset, Iraq. He was assigned to Alpha Company, 3rd Battalion, 509th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division.

Shawn was 19 years old when he went to Ranger School, he was the only 19-year-old in his class. He became a sergeant in 2 1/2 years and was a squad leader. Many considered him a local hero.

Shawn was following in the steps of his best friend when he enlisted. That friend, Joseph Medeiros Jr., was killed last New Years Eve in a motorcycle accident in Texas, the same night that Shawn was injured in Iraq by an explosive that left shrapnel in his leg.

Shawn Adams is survived by his wife, Wilhelmina Elizabeth Adams (Beth) of Anchorage, Alaska; his mother and stepfather, Laura and Robert Gills of Dixon; his father and stepmother, Darcy and Gaye Adams of Vacaville; three sisters, Lacy and Samantha of Dixon and Mary of Vacaville; grandparents, Jim and Gloria Paisley, Mike and Beatrice Bruno, Robert C. Gillis Sr. and Marijo Gillis.

Shawn believed in what he was doing, he believed in fulfilling his commitment and he family supported him all the way.

Buried in the Sacramento Valley VA National Cemetery, 5810 Midway Road, Dixon.

Published in The Reporter on July 29, 2007

Dixon soldier dies in Iraq bomb explosion

The Associated Press

DIXON, Calif. - Army SGT Shawn G. Adams was a soldier focused on his goals and resolute in doing his duty in Iraq, whatever the danger, according to his family.

"He believed in what he was doing — he believed in fulfilling his commitment," said Adams stepfather, Robert Gillis.

Adams, 21, of Dixon died July 22 from wounds sustained when a roadside bomb exploded while he was on patrol in Owaset, Iraq, according to the Defense Department.

He was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 509th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division, at Fort Richardson, Alaska.

Adams entered Army Ranger school at 19 and became a paratrooper, earning a promotion to sergeant after a few short years. The former varsity football player did not tell his family much about his missions, but they knew his work came with risks.

"He wouldn't tell us what he was doing. But he was basically a door-kicker, looking for insurgents," Gillis said.

An explosion on New Years Eve left shrapnel in Adams leg, but he stayed and continued fighting. He had been scheduled to return home in December.

Adams met his wife, Wilhelmina, in Anchorage, Alaska, where he was stationed. He is survived by his wife; stepfather and mother of Dixon; father and stepmother of Vacaville; and three younger sisters

©2006 All Rights Reserved.